Thursday, April 14, 2011

Refried Beans

I am very fond of Mexican food. When my mother brought me home from the hospital my brother said “she looks like she’s going to grow up to speak Spanish.” He said this because of how dark I was. It may be the reason why we eat Mexican food in our home every week. 

I love refried beans but have never liked the idea of the saturated fat in the refried part. This is why I use real butter and don’t do it the traditional way. Everyone always loves them and asks for the recipe. All of my family loves them too, so it works very well.


Ingredients
4 cups dry beans (you may use all pinto, but I like to use part white and/or pink. It makes a lighter colored refried bean.)
3 quarts water
1-2 whole fresh jalapeno (or canned, bottled, or dried jalapeno)
2 cloves garlic
1 large onion, chopped
½ cup butter
2 teaspoons granulated garlic
Beef bullion to taste (optional)
Salt to taste
Grated cheese (optional)

Directions
Pick over beans. Rinse and soak overnight. (Soaking is optional, but it shortens cooking time.)

If beans have been soaked, drain water and add fresh water. If beans have not been soaked, add the 3 quarts of water.

Add the jalapeno, garlic, and onion. 

Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to simmer and cover. Cook for approximately 5 hours depending on the altitude and age of the beans. 

When beans are tender, drain most of the juice and reserve for later use. 

Add the butter and mash or blend depending on the consistency desired, adding reserved liquid as needed. When beans are at desired smoothness add garlic, bullion if desired, and salt. 

Option: place beans in a casserole dish and cover with grated cheese. Heat until cheese is melted.

~LaRee

1 comment:

  1. I made this in the crockpot and it was delicious! I will make this again and again and again!!! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete