Thursday, April 14, 2011

Spanish Rice

I love rice! All varieties of rice! But I especially love Spanish rice. For many years I tried different recipes for it, gathering ideas along the way. This recipe primarily came from a good friend of mine years ago, but I have added some ingredients and changed some of the preparation method. My family and friends ABSOLUTELY LOVE this recipe, and whenever I take it anywhere people are crazy about it!


Ingredients
2 cups basmati rice (brown, white or any kind you like)
2 TBS olive oil (or oil of choice)
1- 8oz can tomato sauce (try ½ El Pato sauce or more for a spicier taste)
4 cups chicken broth (may use bullion cubes/powdered broth and water or canned)
Salt to taste (OMIT salt if your broth is already salty. Taste after adding the broth.)
4 garlic cloves, minced (may use bottled minced)
1- 4oz can green chilis
1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro, chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/8 tsp cumin (optional)

Directions
Rinse rice and drain.

Brown rice, onion and garlic in oil.

Add tomato/ El Pato sauce and cook until thick and pasty.

Add chicken broth, green chili, cilantro, and cumin. Bring to boil, then cover and simmer without popping lid for about 20 minutes (simmer 45 minutes if using brown rice).

When cooked, remove from heat and let set for 10 minutes. ENJOY!

*On the run or don’t care for chunks in your rice? Simply omit the green chili, cilantro and onion!

~LaRee

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited about this recipe! I can't wait to try it. I bought the ingredients over the weekend and hope to make it the next time we have tacos!

    ReplyDelete